Monday, January 6, 2014

Good News and Bad News

So I have a draft of a post announcing some awesome, exciting new -- we have started the adoption process!!!!  There are so many details and emotions and craziness about the process that I can't wait to share!  That will all come at a different time.  As far as a sneak peek -- we are in the middle of our home study which involves a lot of paperwork and are planning on infant domestic adoption. 

The reason I am holding off on sharing some of the adoption news is that we kind of had an unexpected weekend.  I started having some cramping and abdominal pain Thursday and Friday with some bleeding.  It was unusual because I was in the middle of my cycle so I knew this was something abnormal.  I called the doctor Friday and talked to a nurse.  She basically made me feel like a teenager with period cramps and told me to use a heating pad and take some ibuprofen and if it wasn't better by Monday to make an appointment.  After having a sleepless night Friday I woke up Austin Saturday morning and we went to an urgent care in Madison.  To make a long story short, a urine analysis showed I was pregnant.  What?!?!?!?!  Yeah, that was my reaction.  I didn't really believe them.  I had a negative home pregnancy test about 15 days earlier followed by a normal period.  I was shocked and in disbelief about the whole thing.  It quickly turned to worry by the doctor in fear that I was having an ectopic pregnancy.  They took my blood to get an HCG, gave me some kind of shot for the pain, and quickly sent me on my way to the ER. 

Once I was at the ER they waited for my blood result and it found that my HCG level was well over 1,000 (I don't remember the exact number).  I was immediately sent to get an ultrasound.  It showed nothing in my uterus, internal bleeding, and was inconclusive as to if an embryo was in my fallopian tube.  The doctor came and explained what was going on and told me they should go in and do surgery.  I immediately started crying.  I have one tube that showed it was blocked on an HSG a couple years ago, and then I was being told that they were going to go in to clean up the bleeding and debris and then they would remove the tube if anything looked "abnormal".  I told them my history and why I didn't want that, so we discussed the option of observation and we all thought that was a good choice at that moment. 

So then I was admitted and had blood drawn and vitals taken every couple of hours.  It was decided by 2:00 pm Sunday that I was stable enough to go home with narcotics and careful observation.  They believe it was a tubal pregnancy that worked itself out of my tube by itself, causing the pain and internal bleeding.  Now I wait for my body to do the rest of the healing.   

So that's where I am at!  I don't even know where to start as far as the emotions and confusion I've felt this weekend.  We have gone from trying to conceive for almost three years to getting pregnant twice in 6 months once we stopped any outside fertility treatments to starting the adoption process.  I am confused!!  But although I am confused, I know things will be okay.  I know things will work out in His perfect timing and I am just going to try my best to keep trusting and believing that.       

No comments:

Post a Comment