Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Day We Decided to Move Forward with Adoption

I will never forget the day we officially decided to start the adoption process.  As we started our journey to begin our family, we hypothetically talked about adoption.  We both communicated it was something that we would  be open to. 

Flash forward almost 3 years later - multiple cycles dictated by fertility drugs, patients at a fertility clinic, two failed IUIs, and a miscarriage after conceiving on our own.  We were coming to a crossroads. 

IVF or adoption?  Financially, we wouldn't be able to do both.

For me, I knew the answer.  Adoption had been placed on my heart for the last year.  I felt I was being hit over the head with it... I would see billboards, bumper stickers, read blogs, weep (or sob uncontrollably) at the song Kings and Queens.  I felt strongly that is was something we should pursue, but I also knew that it had to be a decision both Austin and I made and felt comfortable with, not just me telling him what we should do. 

So I waited... and prayed... a lot...

Then one night we were at home just relaxing in the living room.  Austin was in his recliner and I was curled up on the couch with the dog tucked behind my knees.  "What do you think we should do?" - a question we have both asked numerous times on our road to a family.  As I cried out in my heart, "God, please lay adoption on Austin's heart" Austin said for the first time, "I think we should adopt." 

My heart swelled and the tears started falling... which in turn thoroughly confused my husband!  I had to quickly tell him that they were happy tears.  I felt a wave of relief and joy come over me!

We have a long way to go in the adoption process and the journey includes both excitement and anxiety.  But even though we aren't sure what our adoption story is going to look like, I do know that it's one that we are excited about and that we have an awesome God that's on our side!

    

2 comments:

  1. You are in my prayers as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You should read the blog www.crazyforcaroline.blogspot.com it's a Christian family that has adopted twice and is so passionate about it!

    ReplyDelete