Sunday, February 24, 2013

Going Gluten Free*

I decided to try going gluten free for about six weeks for a variety of reasons.  A big reason is that I have HORRIBLE indigestion problems (wake up in the middle of the night throwing up) and I would like to find the trigger.  Another reason is that celiac runs in my family.  I have an aunt and two cousins diagnosed with it.  Yet another reason is that studies show that a gluten free diet can help with infertility.  Does it mean that once I go gluten free I will be guaranteed to conceive, absolutely not.  But I figured it'd be worth a try and really couldn't hurt anything. 

I am a couple of weeks into it and I have to admit I have been more gluten limited than gluten free, hence the asterisk.  We've changed pasta, snacks, and bread (YUCK) to GF, and that has been a pretty smooth transition.  I've found the biggest challenge to be going out to eat or going over to a friend's house.  I refuse to dictate a menu to a friend to be sure to accommodate me going GF, so I just know I can make choices to limit it (having the meat without a bun).  Also, I have found most restaurants have GF options, so I just need to seek them out ahead of time. 

I had the worst headaches I've ever had when I started going GF and am not sure if it was my body having withdrawals or if the headaches were side effects of the medicine I was on that time.  I have also had just as bad, if not worse, indigestion issues.  It's really been effecting my sleep so I am thinking about making a doctor appointment.  Being up for 2-2.5 hours in the middle of the night three nights a week is starting to take its toll on me.

Tomorrow morning I have my ultrasound to check on the follicles.  Also this week we have an appointment set up to talk our next steps with the doctor.  I'm interested to see what his opinion is of where we should go next.  I am guessing either surgery to check out the "blocked" tube or just going right into the IUI.  More updates to follow!          

No comments:

Post a Comment